Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable Pet Week

If not for our friends we wouldn't know anything these days. First Twinkie tells us about National Dog Week and now Mayzie tells us it's also Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable Pet Week. I wasn't sure that I could really address that issue. I'm a purebred and a member of a breed that was the rarest in the whole world for a bit. I mean, you can't get any more adoptable than that, can you? Well, not so fast, according to some folks. My personal hero, Sean Casey, Animal Rescuer told my Moms that Shar Pei were not quick to be adopted. It seems we have a reputation. "Bad rap" is what Mr. Casey said. Also, it's been rather rudely pointed out that I was well into middle age at the time of my adoption. Not a senior, though. I just want that on the record. I did not yet have my AARP (Association for the Advancement of Retired Pets) card at that point. I don't think it helps with Pei adoption that some rescue agencies and shelters recommend their Peis only to experienced Pei owners. All well and good, but how does one become an experienced Pei owner to begin with if only experienced owners should have us?

Franklin - Cute at times, demonic at times, goofy all the time.
When the Moms got Franklin there was much happiness in the shelter that he was going to be adopted by a family that included no children and a Pei. The fact is that he came from a family with children and his previous owner marked down on his surrender forms that he's good with kids, but no kids for him because he's a Pei. No matter. He's got me, Lola, and that's enough to make him happy. Oh, and the humans, too, but mostly me. But he was kind of lucky that just the right family came along for him. Between the pretty much not so necessary "no kids" caveat and his eyes he might not have been first choice for just everyone. We're still trying to get a photo that really shows what a funny looking guy he is. This one doesn't capture the demonic look, but it does give you something of an idea of the state his eyes are in, after drastic entropion surgery. He can see, but not all that well. Mostly you wouldn't notice, but it really shows when he's trying to chase a ball, which he loves to do. What he can't do is follow where it's going, even if it's a straight line. He ran right over the one that Daddy threw the other day and had no idea. It's OK, though. We doggies don't really absolutely need to see all that well or even at all if we have someone to take good care of us.

Differently abled animals can make the best pets in the world. The aforementioned Twinkie has only three good legs. Gentle Ben, another blog furiend is doing just fine on three legs and some dogs make do quite well with fewer than that. Adoptapet.com's blog has an post up titled Blind Dogs, Deaf Dogs, Wonderful Dogs!. and the article referenced mentions that some people who have adopted blind or deaf dogs can't imagine having any other sort of pet. I'd bet the same goes for kitties, too.  Now you all know all this already and I do, too, but we should probably do what we can to get the word out to those who think that Pitties or Peis are mean dogs or that dogs or kitties who lack a limb or so, or vision or hearing can't be happy pets.

Everyone have a truly great National Dog Week, too. Extra treats! Extra cheese!

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Lola! I love differently abled - I think we are all differently abled in some way.

    My mama has a thing for "special cats". Rosie is a black cat with frost-bitten ears. She has a great personality, but is a little funny looking. The shelter I came from is full of black cats that no one wants - can you imagine? My brother Sweet Pea is a beautiful cat, but he has some personality traits (he bites and is very unpredictable) that make him "special". My family also does hospice care for shelter animals so they can experience a loving home in their final days. These animals have so much to give if only given the chance ...

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola, definitely a thought provoking post! The first Greyhound Mom and Dad had, Treat, had grand mal seizures. That might scare a lot of people away, too, but Treat was the best hound who ever lived, according to Mom. I think it's important to let people know that differently abled pets can still lead full and meaningful lives!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lola my lovely,
    What a wonderful post, I like many others had never considered a 'less able' until I got Willow she was an older lady whose owner had died and she came into a shelter with her companion dog who sadly crossed the bridge. She was deaf as a post but the prettiets little girl ever with the worst breath I had ever encountered ( had worse now though ..lol ) and she gave me so much pleasure she was very genteel and lady like and oh so dainty so deafness is not something I would ever consider an obstacle. Later we had our Molly and for a blind girl with major health problems she has been the most awesome dog I have ever had the pleasure to be owned by. She never let her lack of vision stop her investigating new places even if she did occasionally bump into things she was a very able little lady.
    I would not hesitate in ever having what is classed as a 'less able' dog I was more than happy to be a seeing eye hoo-man for my girly not that she need me to be.
    With much love
    Mollys Momma Tea
    x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is just the most wonderful post ever. Franklin is a wonderful guy and WE in blogville don't think he looks demonic. We think he looks... HAPPY. You are a good sister to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a most wonderful postie, Lola! My mom kinda doesn't get why peoples only seem to want to adopt the pawfect ones. She luvs the hard-knock cases and actually hopes one day to adopt a 3-legged doggie. I don't know why. She just likes 3-legged doggies. But what we think is the CRAZIEST thing is that peoples either wants a pawfect dog or the dog or kitteh that ends up on the news with a REALLY sad story. Then people will line up. But all rescues have a story, even if it's a little quiet one, so why aren't peoples lining up to adopt them, too? I dunno. Sometimes humans just don't make much sense.

    Anyway, I think Franklin is Most Handsome! But what really makes him special is how much he luvs you and your family!

    Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Franklin is a hottie in our eyes. Sight is awesome, but there are times where it might be nice not to see all the mean stuff going on around you. Funny how disabled pets usually don't have any problem being disabled. We should take note.

    Kitty and Coco

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post Lola! Were you the first Pei that your family ever adopted?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our Mom says this is a very important post. Just like there's no perfect human, there's no perfect dog either. Each of us has a little something wrong. In our pack Morgan has some mental problems, Tsar is spooky about his back end, Samba has MMM,Fudge is a bully, Tess and Noah have problems with their legs, Sky is lazy and the other three girls are just ditsy. But our Mom loves us all and to her we are perfect.
    Morgan, Tsar and the Porties

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails