Thursday, June 17, 2010

Horse Show and A New Skill for me, Lola

We did get to the horse show last Sunday and it was a beautiful day. The post below for Wordless Wednesday was taken there, as a matter of fact. Here are some more from the day:


There's a lot of meet and greet that goes on at these things. At least there is for me. Here we are still out where the cars were parked and I got stopped a couple of times. Not that I'm complaining. I love meeting new people. Here I'm accepting petting and scratches from a very discerning gentleman who wanted to meet the Pei.


We did finally go into the grounds were events were underway.


There were horsies everywhere you looked, waiting their turn or just hanging around. Horsies and the most prodigious amount of horse poo you could imagine in every direction. You had to watch your step.


This is our friend, Lucy, riding Gala, the Arabian we met at the barn. Lucy's family owns Willow Rock, where Sarge and all his friends live. She was a horse person before she was even born!


This is Lauren, riding Tommy - AKA Seizing the Day. Sarge wasn't at this show. He doesn't do the English shows. He prefers dressage and Lauren rides him in some of those shows. I hope to be able to go to at least one or two this summer. Even though Sarge is Alpha Mom's horse, he has his own life as well. She only has time to ride him on weekends and horses really need exercise. Not just for their muscle tone or cardiac well being either. If they don't get enough exercise they can collic and that can be fatal. Horsies are big, but they are a lot more delicate creatures than most of us doggies. Anyway, Sarge gets dressage lessons, and sometimes he helps out with riding lessons for students and in general keeps busy while Alpha Mom isn't there.


Here's where we took a picture of Lucy shooting a video of someone. While on horseback no less. She's quite impressive.


I met this pretty blonde lady who really knew how to get on my good side. She was a blue ribbon petter/scratcher. I had to visit with her for quite a while. It was the least I could do.


Right here is where Alpha Mom had a moment of infatuation. She loves draft horses and what you have here is one gorgeous draft - a Belgian Brabant. Sarge is a draft-cross and suddenly he didn't seem drafty enough for a minute there. She really loves Sarge, but I guess a girl can look, can't she?


Now this is my moment of infatuation. I just love, love, love kids. I wanted to take them home, but so did their parents and, as it turns out,  parents always have dibs. I've asked if we could get our own kid, but apparently it's all too complicated or difficult or something. It's not like they're rare or anything. I see a lot more kids around than Shar Pei. I see no reason why acquiring just one would be such a problem, but I'm told it's pretty much out of the question.

Well, you can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you can get what you need. What I needed at that point was water, but we had a problem. My water bucket had gotten left behind at the barn. We discovered this when we first arrived, but Alpha Mom was sure there'd be someone selling buckets. There usually is, it seems. Except of course, not this time. There was someone selling food and drinks, though, so she bought some bottled water and a cup. That didn't work. I absolutely have a thing about putting my snout into narrow places. I don't want someone taking a hilarious photo of me with a cup stuck on my nose and you know someone would. Anway, there was nothing that the vendor had that would fit around my magnificent muzzle, so what to do?



Well, this is where the new skill comes in. I learned to drink right from the squirty water bottle. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but I got the idea pretty quick.  I think it's a handy thing to know if people are going to forget my bucket from time to time, although I'm sure it'll never happen again.

All in all it was loads of fun and I'm looking forward to the next one, which will be in a couple of weeks if the weather cooperates. That one will be dressage and Sarge will be in it, so that'll add some extra excitement.

19 comments:

  1. oh, miss lola, my mama is just ooohing and aaaahing over that arabian and the belgian brabant. she loves horses (almost as much as us doggies).
    did you know i was asking my mama and daddy about bringing home a kid, too! they also said somethingie about it being complicated. hmmmph.
    i think you're new trick is amazing! if i tried to drink out of a squirty bottle, i bet i'd get water all over my furs!
    *woof*
    the booker man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woof! Woof! My dad used to ride horses n do shows. And I was born in a horse farm. Great that you got to go. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day you had! I bet you'll be crashed for a day or two. Beautiful animals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom takes me all the time to horse shows! She has three friesian horses and her sister owns two clydesdales! I think your Mom and my Mom need to get together to take notes!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those horses are beautiful, too bad Sarge wasn't there this time round. As horses are big animals, you were very calm and compose surrounded by such huge animals, you're a brave lady, Lola. Now that's a new trick I need to learn, drinking straight from the bottle... comes in handy around forgetful hoomans.

    Licks, hero

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first question is - why did you have to be careful where you stepped? Was it so you could be sure to steps IN the horse poop?

    You sure did looks all kinds of happy at that horse show, Lola. I luved that picture of you with that cute little human girl. And I thinks you should keep working on your pawrents to gets yourself a little human. Make sure you promise that you'll take care of it and walk it and play with it and stuff.

    I am Most Impressed with your drinking-water-out-of-the-bottle abilitys. Your talents never cease to amaze me!

    Wiggles & WAgs,
    Mayzie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure had one busy day! That all looks so exciting. I am not sure I'd be allowed in there, though. I have a penchant for stalking horses. I think I could take one down if I got the chance.

    I've tried to get Mom to let me keep a human puppy, too, but so far, no luck!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is quite the Noseventure! Great new trick too. I haven't mastered that one, but I will drink out of Mommy's hand.

    Oh, and you can borrow my Puppy if you want Lola. But Mom's going to want him back eventually.

    -Bolo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lola,

    What a busy day it was for you. It looks like you had lots of fun too. I luvs your smiley face!

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know, Lola, we are very partial to draft horses in this house! Thanks for all the great photos. That little girl looks very sweet! And I am most impressed by your water drinking skills!

    Woofs,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool day you had! We love those pictures and the horses. We have never seen horses!
    Purrrs, Keiko, Kenji & Pricilla

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun day! You look so happy!! And what a handy new talent!! My papa tried to get me and my sisters to do that once. It was so messy. Eventually, half a bottle later, he had to cut the bottle in half with his pocket knife (which he lost later that day) to form a bowl. I'm not going to tell him you learned how to drink the way he wanted us to drink. It will be our secret. He's still upset about losing that knife. Hehe..

    Wags,
    Zona

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh was devine aromas at that place...I just don't knows how you could control yourself. That hads to be hard on da most lovely Lola.
    You is one talented Pei to drik outs of that water bottle, I bets you know all kinds of tricks.
    Now, is that your alpha mom ON that Belgian? Her is most lovely.
    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only did you acquire a new skill, and have the bestest smile, but it's clear that you were a big social success! Molly B tries to eat horses and if she ever caught one boyoboy she would be in for a big shock. So no horse shows for us, I'm afraid.

    Love,
    Your devoted California auntie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lola, What a lovely sunday you had..!Glad that horse show went off so well. those horses are indeed lovely! we can understand why alpha mom couldn't resist them.
    we want a human pup around too but we don't know if mummy and daddy will get one anytime soon. we haven't seen any pup stores and we don't know where you get them.do let us know if you find out.
    you met so many nice people that sunday..must have been ggrrrt
    wags,
    bud n gin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Lola!
    Sure you had a great time there!
    The horses are awesome!
    And you got lots of love too!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loooved the line, she was a horse person before she was born. I think all horse freaks were exactly that! BOL
    My mom loves draft horses but the one in the photo looked enormous, even for a draft horse.
    Lola, I love your comments and they make me wanna come right over and reply or tell you that you cracked me up again. No time, sweet friend. It's so cool that you're posting about horse shows and I love visiting your blog.
    Lots of licks
    Twinkie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our Mom loves draft horses, too. She wanted a horse, but come on Mom, why do you need a horse when you have all of us to keep you company?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ozzie got heat exhaustion just from looking at the pictures. It was a hot weekend but looks like there was fun to had!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails